Saturday, February 21, 2015

Charm Storage - Made by My Very Own Prince Charming!

Hi Everyone,
Snow is still falling here in Jersey, and I am DONE! I am not a winter person to start with and it just seems like it has snowed every weekend for the past 6 weeks.  While it is cold and not so inviting outside, here in the craftroom it is just charming. I have to say my charm stash has gotten a tad out of control and I figured I better get a handle on organizing these little cuties before I start buying things that I already have.  I liked the Darice bead storage jars from the starts and I had picked up a few to hold some scrapebooking embelishments awhile back. If you don't know what they are here is a picture:
24 little screw top containers that fit into a plastic case.  The lid of the case is not hinged so needless to say if you were to drop it all the containers would go flying. But I like them and I found them great for the charms when Rory and I were working on the bracelets during this past holiday season. I started to buy a lot of charms thinking of summer projects like the wine charms and the beachy bracelets. So back to the store for more containers I went.  True to form, like the craft hoarder I am, I was like a frenzied squirrel gathering nuts for winter. I don't know how it happened, it was like every time the family sat down to dinner I would sneak upstairs to the computer, get on ETSY and buy charms. Want to know how bad it is? Are you sure? OK, here it is, I have a charm of, of, (I can't) a dental chair! Yup, you know that silly reclining chair at the dentist's office, Yes I have a charm of it! OK, OK, so I have 4 of them . . . and I have toothbrushes and toothpaste and some cute little floss charms too! So wait, before you call the craft police I should mention that my Brother in Law is a dentist and I thought a set of dental themed wine charms might just be a cute gift to bring to the office the next time I go for a cleaning.  See I'm not so crazy, I just think ahead.  Now what I really wanted to tell you about is my awesome storage idea that the Hubster came up with.  I loved the trays and just needed a way for them to stack safely with no chance of falling.  So, my Prince built me a little shelving unit to match the awesome ink storage unit he made me last year.  Here are a few pics:
All that was left to do was paint it black to match the ink storage and figure a way to add a pull to the drawers.  Well I took care of that. I had looked at a few miniature draw pulls and liked a lot of them but all I kept thinking was the less I spend on the shelf the more I will have to spend on charms.  So here is what I did.  I drilled a small hold in the center of each tray and made a ribbon pull.  I locked each ribbon into place using some scrapbook eyelets (sweet, I love when I use something I already own) Here are some pics for the draw pulls:
I used a strip of white paper to find the center and  marked it with a sharpie marker.  I drilled the hole with my handy dandy drill master from Harbor Freight.
  It was easy and I didn't crack any of the trays.  Then I set an eyelet into the hole from the front and used a manual eyelet setter to lock it in place. Pictures? Why Yes, yes I do!:
I never thought I would use that manual eyelet setter ever again after getting my crop a dile. Good thing I am a hoarder and didn't get rid of it.(See, always prepared!!) Now to lock the ribbon in I made a knot in the ribbon and fed it through from the front to the inside of the tray. And ran a second eyelet from the inside to the front.  It looked like this:
Once in place I crimped the eyelet with a pair of needle nose pliers. It ended up looking like this after I trimmed the ribbon and sealed it with a quick pass of a lighter:
Once the trays were done it was ready to be filled and organized and now my awesome charm collection looks like this:


and it matches my ink storage too!
I am one happy camper thanks to my very own Prince Charming! Thanks Paul, you ROCK! Oh, I gotta go the peeps are heading out to shovel snow and I think I can get in one more charm order before the day ends! Thanks for stopping by,
Lysa

4 comments:

  1. Lysa, you crack me up! I love that you have bought dentist chairs and I think it's a grand idea to make them for your BIL. I love how you and your Prince Charming think too! You both make a great team! Love the box to hold the acrylic boxes in and love how it matches your other holders! You idea of draw pulls, genius You and Prince Charming are way to clever! lol Excited for you and now I can't wait to see some more charms made into something! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    Thanks for reading my silliness. I just can't believe how many charms I have now. And of course there is just a bit of room in the storage box for growth! lol!! I have been making recycled zipper bracelets. Once I am done with packaging I will do a post. Thanks again for stopping by,
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog - now one of my favourites! Your ideas are just genius - as are your Prince Charming's - do you think he'd relocate to the UK for a spell to create some fab storage for my craft area ??? LOL !
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy, Thanks so much for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from a fellow crafty peep! I hope to get back to posting more often but life has a way of getting in the way. I can't send the Prince over to the UK but I can surely send the dimensions for the charm storage box. Let me know if you want them and thanks again for visiting,
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete